Thursday, November 8, 2007

Tasmanian devils...


My trip to Tasmania (Tassie as the locals call it) has been a bit of a blur. I picked up a nasty cold on the plane down from Cairns which hasn’t been helped by the significant drop in temperature (it’s approx 20˚C colder in Tassie). A lot of my time has been spent trying to stay warm and ditch the cold, but highlights from my active times include:





Taking a red double-decker bus tour around Hobart.
I stayed Macquarie Manor in Hobart, which I probably wouldn’t recommend – I had a very strange room, where the shower tray was in the bedroom, not a separate bathroom, and the toilet was in a cubicle – much like a public toilet – it wouldn’t have been a great room to share with anyone – no matter how well you knew them!
Visiting the convict station at Port Arthur, taking a walking tour and a boat tour and hearing about some of the truly horrific conditions the convicts were subjected to
I stayed at the Norfolk Convict Station – the actual building that housed the convict station. It was a very interesting place to stay and the owner was very friendly - lighting a fire to keep my warm in my Rudolph-nosed state!
Heading up the coast to Swansea and visiting Freycinet National Park – climbing the 600ish stairs to the Wineglass Bay Lookout – I figured it would be kill or cure. I’m still here, but I’m not cured! The view was absolutely spectacular
I stayed at the Redcliffe Colonial B&B which was lovely – clean, comfortable and for sale if anyone’s interested!
Making a final stop in Richmond – which is a lovely little town – but not much going on…

Next stop is Melbourne to visit my friend Lisa – I’m so excited to see her – we haven’t seen each other for years.

No comments: