Highlights of our South Island tour so far include:
- Learning to manuevre the 20+ft motorhome around some interesting mountain roads…
- Getting frozen in Dunedin – which is so much like Scotland, it even has the weather!
- More sheep
- Taking a boat trip around Milford Sound and feeling tiny against the sides of the fjord that are almost a mile high. Being taken almost under the largest waterfall, where they promise that the spray on your face helps you lose ten years!! I splashed it on a few times and am hoping to start high school when I get back to the states!
- A few more sheep
- Staying in the lovely lakeside town of Wanaka – for the brits, this also gave us a bit of a chuckle and an excuse to shout ‘ Are you from Wanaka?’ to any bad drivers on the road!
- Yet more sheep
- Taking the cable car up 1500ft to see the magnificent views over Queenstown and then screeching back down like a maniac in the luge ride.
- Making my first bungy jump at the location of the first ever bungy jump, just outside queenstown. It was awesome.
- Taking a helicopter ride over the Franz Josef and Fox glaciers and around Mt Cook and Mt Tasman, then landing in the snow, once the pilot finished eating his sandwich!
- Bathing in the thermal springs at Hanmer Springs – phew what a smell…
- More sheep
- Whale watching (or whale waving as my mum liked to call it) in Kaikoura – and this time I actually saw whales, dolphins and seals.
- Quite a few cows too
- Visiting the Isabel winery in the Marlborough wine region
- Driving in to the ferry terminal in Picton, where with a loud bang, the two 75 litre water tanks dropped off our motorhome ! Lucky we weren’t on one of those mountain roads… all we could do was laugh and wait for the engineer to arrive!
With a fixed motorhome, it’s on to the North Island for more adventures and hopefully a skydive…