Friday, November 2, 2007

No surfing in paradise... no bloody whales either :)

First stop on my travel up the East coast was a day in Surfer's Paradise - unfortunately the weather didn't really cooperate to make it very paradise-like. Somehow I didn't make the connection between it being too rough in the sea to swim and the fact that a whale-watching trip might be little choppy...

On the one hand - luckily I had taken some sea-sickness prevention meds on the other hand, unfortunately none of my fellow passengers had had the foresight... we weren't even out of the harbour before the first victim ran to the bathroom! By the end of the trip it was only me and the crew still standing - people were lying on the floor, on benches, hanging over the side... all looking pretty miserable. To add insult to injury the whales decided not to put in an appearance. Apparently they had been breaching right next to the boat the day before ... I have to admit I did wonder how many times they use that story (what a cynic)

Back on dry land - i found my way to the local train station and took a train to Brisbane, ready to start my next adventure - a 3 day camping(yes camping!) tour to Fraser Island.

No comments: